Sunday, October 11, 2009

RE-PRIORITIZE NOW

A Sermon for 19th Sunday after Pentecost
by Pastor Laura Gentry

Mark 10:17-21

Sometimes when you are driving along, road signs can be quite funny, especially when they seem to be stating the obvious, like: “Caution: Water on road during rain.” Gee, I didn’t see that one coming.

Some road signs confuse, like one I saw that said: “Keep Right” and next to it was an arrow to the left. Or another one: “Entrance only. Do not enter.” Hmmm?

Other times, there are signs that can be taken either way like: “Lane closed to ease congestion.” And you are saying to yourself: But my nose isn’t congested at all. I am breathing just fine. Why should they close a lane for me?

One that stopped me dead in my tracks was a sign on a busy highway where an interchange was coming up. The sign read: “Re-prioritize now.” It meant that you should get into the lane you want for the interchange, but I read it’s deeper meaning. In fact, it sent me into a state of metaphysical dread. I thought: HOW does this road sign know me so well? How does it know my priorities are all out of whack? What can I do to re-prioritize now? Needless to say, I was so engaged in this line of thinking that I missed my exit.

Re-prioritize now! That is what Jesus is inviting  the man in today’s gospel reading to do. This guy approaches Jesus with a question and instead of a simple answer, he is given an amazing but demanding invitation. This is a man with great spiritual passion, he runs up and kneels before Jesus. He asks: "Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" He sounds pretty serious. We can imagine his longing eyes peering up at the teacher with anticipation. Clearly, he is filled with a spiritual hunger that he needs satiated. He's been a follower of God all his life and he has followed the law. Yet somehow, he knows he's not yet at peace. It reminds me of the U2 song "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For." So now he has come to ask for advise about how he can find that inner peace for which he is searching. It stops Jesus in his tracks and forces him to acknowledge the question.  

The answer Jesus gives him is filled with love.  "You lack one thing," he says. "Go, sell what you own, and give the money to the poor and you will have treasures in heaven."

This is radical claim that Jesus is making on the man. He's showing him how much he needs the mercy and grace of God. Working to earn salvation on his own is futile. He can never do it. Only with God is this possible. Can he put all of his material wealth behind him and cling to God first and foremost? An exciting opportunity to re-prioritize has been presented to him!

Do you remember the old “Nestee Plunge” commercial where they showed happy people holding a glass of iced tea falling backward into a pool? It was as if to demonstrate that the flavor of the tea could take you away—it would make you want to absolutely surrender to it. As kids, we spent long hours at the pool trying to reenact this scene. You know, it’s really hard because you have to trust that the water will break your fall, will hold you up and keep you safe even when you can’t see where you are falling.

In a spiritual sense, that’s what Jesus was inviting the man to do. He understood the Savior's absolute call to take the plunge and fall into the arms of God’s grace. But he just could not trust. He couldn’t let go of his own control and place himself fully into God’s care. Yet the man slumps down with grief because his things have a higher priority in his life than the call of Jesus.He is to encumbered by the cares of the world. So he walks away without accepting the invitation. What about you? Do you accept the invitation? Are you ready to re-prioritize now?

The famous author Henri Nouwen wrote a story about an incident that happened to him. He was walking along the road and then found himself on the ground. It happened so fast he didn’t know what hit him. When a man man came to his assistance, he realized that he’d been hit by the rearview mirror of the man's van. At the hospital, Henri thought about the accident further. He writes: “Faced with the possibility of dying, it came to me that the mirror of the passing van had forced me to look at myself in a radically new way.” It was a metaphor for him to consider how God may be calling him to re-prioritize his life.

Henri found it difficult to be in a position in which he was not in control. He had to let go and trust the doctors to perform surgery on him and get him back on the road of health. And on a spiritual level, he had to trust God in a way that was deeper than he had ever trusted before. He writes of this: “What I experienced then was something I had never experienced before: pure and unconditional love. Better still, what I experienced was an intensely personal presence, a presence that pushed all my fears aside and said: ‘Come, don’t be afraid. I love you:’ a very gentle, nonjudgemental presence; a presence that simply asked me to trust completely. It was not a warm light, a rainbow, or an open door that I saw, but a human yet divine presence that I felt, inviting me to come closer and let go of all fears.”

For Henri, death then lost its power and shrank away. He allowed God’s love to surround him and keep him safe. He felt it was a homecoming. Jesus was saying: come home to me. And Henri came home.

You and I are being give the same priority: re-prioritize now. Whatever is standing in the way of your intimacy with God has to get out of the way. Let it go. Take the plunge of faith. Let go of your fears and come home to God. This alone, offers you absolute freedom. As baptized children of God, we know that we can trust God to carry us. May you say yes to this call today.

Let us pray: Lord Jesus Christ, we give you praise that your promise is strong enough, your love faithful enough that you will not let us go. Whatever our life's circumstances, I pray that your presence would be tangible, your promise uplifting that we can let go of our old lives completely and fall into your arms of limitless love. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this sermon and your beautiful prayer! Stephanie