Sunday, July 22, 2007

MODERN MARY & MARTHA IN DIALOGUE

A Sermon for The Eighth Sunday after Pentecost
July 22, 2007
by Pastor Laura Gentry

Luke 10:38-42
Now as they went on their way, he entered a certain village, where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to what he was saying. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me.” But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her.” (NRSV)

Grace and Peace to you from God our Father and from our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
In our gospel lesson for today, Jesus went to visit his friends Mary and Martha. We’ve heard this story many times before and some of you relate to the busy Martha while some of you relate to Mary who preferred to sit and listen at the feet of Jesus. So in order to help us consider this story anew, let’s imagine what a modern Mary and Martha would have to say to each other and to us.

Martha: I am so busy, Mary! I am so busy I can’t see straight! But I’ve got extremely important work to do—it is the Lord’s work. I’ve got Bible study at my house tomorrow. I have to prepare that Sunday school lesson for next week. I’m taking casserole to my neighbor lady who is a shut-in and can’t get out to buy her own meals. I need to think about packing for that mission trip because I’m leaving in less than a month. I’m writing an article for a Christian women’s magazine but my computer’s not working right so I have to get it to the computer guy over at the mall but he doesn’t work on Mondays and the deadline is Wednesday. Oh, and my dishwasher’s on the fritz. The other day it backed up and got water all over the kitchen. So I probably should hand wash the dishes when the Bible group comes over so it doesn’t flood again but that’s going to take more time. And of course, I have the bills to pay and they seem to be hiding under a pile of junk mail that I haven’t had time to sort yet. Oh, this house is such a mess...

Mary: Martha, Martha, you have so many distractions. I don’t think it’s healthy.

Martha: But Mary, I can’t just sit around reading the Bible and devotional books like you do.

Mary: Why not?

Martha: Because of the list I just rattled off for you. Sometimes I don’t even think you listen, sister!

Mary: I know you’ve got a lot to do Martha, and you do it so well. You are doing the Lord’s work—no one would question that. But I worry about the pace you’re trying to keep. You’ve gotten yourself hooked into so many obligations. Do you even know why you’re doing it all?

Martha: How dare you question me? I am doing it all for Jesus. He said that we must carry on his work here on earth. He put that responsibility on all his followers so I’m just doing my part. Plus, I figure I’m pretty capable and the Bible says that to those who are given much, much is expected. I know God expects a lot from me and I intend to fulfill those expectations.

Mary: I intend to fulfill God’s expectations for my life as well, but I can’t just do all that work and not refuel. If I don’t spend time reading my Bible, worshipping, praying and meditating, I feel disconnected from my source and then I have no energy for that work at all.

Martha: Hang on, the microwave timer just went off, I have to go check the cake in the oven.

Mary: See what I’m talking about? I just can’t get through to Martha. She means so well and she does such good for everybody but she doesn’t take time for prayer or devotion. I’ve given her lots of great books on faith development and whenever I come over here, they’re covered in stacks of other paper. I don’t think she’s finished a one. She might start one at bedtime but she is so worn out by then she falls asleep before she even reads a chapter.

Martha: Anyway, Mary, what were you saying?

Mary: My dear, it’s great that you do so many things for so many people but you’ve got to settle into a sustainable way of life. As a follower of Jesus, you’ve got to spend time with him, and I mean quality time. You can’t just say a quick thank you prayer before meals and call that having a relationship with him. You have to really listen to him. You have to share your heart with him—you know, like it says in that old hymn, “take it to the Lord in prayer.” Martha, when’s the last time you spend time in prayer?

Martha: Umm, well, I went to that great women’s retreat that one time and I really prayed there.

Mary: Martha, that was three years ago!

Martha: Was it really? I thought it was only two. Well, I don’t have the time to go away that often.

Mary: You don’t have to go on retreat to spend time with God. And why don’t you have time? It is because you don’t make time. Time is limited, but people always have time for what they want to have time for. So when you say you don’t have the time, you’re saying it’s just not a priority.

Martha: It is a priority—really—it’s just getting lost in a stack of other priorities.

Mary: I know, I know, and all your priorities are well-meaning. But honestly, Martha, do you even understand grace?

Martha: IWhy are you quizzing me, Mary? Of course I know what grace is! I’ve taught confirmation class for years. I tell the students that God sent Jesus to save us and because of this amazing grace, all the riches of this life and the next are ours. And it’s free. All we have to do is believe in Jesus as our Savior—and even the faith with which to believe is a gift of God, entrusted to us at our baptism.

Mary: See? You have all the right answers. You know that God’s love is yours completely. Then, why do you run around doing so many acts of service that you wear yourself out day after day? You’re trying to impress God. It’s like you’re trying to score more points with all your good deeds and you know it doesn’t work that way. God loves you so much that there’s nothing you can do to be loved by God more than you already are. Do you believe that? Do you believe it in your heart of hearts? Do you understand that God deems you worthy because of what Christ has done for you?

Martha: I wish I felt that worthy. I mean, I sometimes do.

Mary: Your busyness looks to me like a desperate attempt to gain God’s love. Don’t you realize that you don’t have to live that way? God already loves you infinitely, Martha!

Martha: I know that, Mary. I know it in my head at least. That’s what I was taught in Sunday school as a little girl. But now, as an adult in a complicated world, my issues tend to get in the way. I want to have peace in my heart like you do. I don’t want to wake up every night at 2:00 a.m. and spend three hours worrying about the things I have to get done tomorrow. I don’t want to get tension headaches that last all day. I don’t want to feel constantly worn out and frustrated. What I want most is that peace that passes all understanding, that peace Jesus promised.

Mary: And you deserve it. But you can’t get it by doing everything for everybody. You can only get it by sitting at the feet of Jesus. To know Jesus is to know peace.

Martha: So how did you get to know him so well?

Mary: I’m not any more saintly than you are, Martha. I just recognized early on that I can’t do this life on my own. I’m just to weak and selfish and short-tempered. I can’t make it through the day without prayer and meditation. I need that constant support from my Savior. And my prayer and devotion time does take time from other things in my life, including acts of service. But it is worth it. I know I don’t get as much done for others as you do, but what I am able to do, I do with a joyful heart. I do it as a natural outpouring of the love I feel in Jesus. I know it won’t impress God, but I do things because I truly want to do them. I want to shine my light!

Martha: I want to shine my light too, but mine’s feeling so dim right now. And perhaps some of these good folks gathered for worship this morning feel burned out like me too. Why don’t you lead us in prayer, Mary?

Mary: Okay, Martha. Let us pray: Dearest Lord Jesus, we thank you for your unfailing love for us. As you know, my sister here has gotten so busy doing your work that she hardly knows you. And so I pray for her and for all those who feel the light of your love has grown dim in their hearts. Fill them with your Spirit, Lord. Compel them to sit at your feet and know you as their Source and their life. Impart upon them a deeper sense of your unconditional love for them. And give them a peace that passes all understanding. In your name we pray, Amen.

© 2007 Laura E. Gentry

No comments: